COAR Strategy 2019-2021
The Confederation of Open Access Repositories (COAR) is an international association with over 140 members and partners from around the world representing libraries, universities, research institutions, government funders, repository networks and others. COAR brings together the repository community and major repository networks in order to build capacity, align policies and practices, and act as a global voice for the repository community.
Collectively, repositories form the foundation of a global knowledge commons that preserves and provides access to diverse and valuable research outputs (articles, data, etc.), in support of open scholarship, thereby advancing new discoveries, the social and economic impacts of research, and scientific transparency.
A sustainable, inclusive, and trusted global knowledge commons based on a network of open access digital repositories
To enhance the visibility and application of research outputs through a global network of open repositories based on international collaboration and interoperability
COAR Strategic Directions 2019-2021
To realize our mission and advance our vision, COAR will focus on community, leadership and engagement at the international level.
Five strategic directions will guide COAR’s activities:
- Advocate for the role of a sustainable and distributed network of open repositories as the foundation of a global knowledge commons
- Provide support for the open repository community and build local capacity for the development and management of repositories and repository networks
- Define and promote alignment and interoperability across repositories, repository networks, and between repositories and other systems and platforms
- Advance the adoption of new behaviours, technologies and functionalities in repositories and repository networks
- Increase the sustainability and effectiveness of the organization and strengthen the COAR brand