Strategic and Technical Meeting of Repository Networks (May 2018)
On May 14 & 15, 2018 COAR convened a meeting of repository networks to talk about services and technologies of networks around the world. The aim to develop and strengthen national and regional services that are managed locally and that reflect diverse needs and requirements of different countries.
The purpose of the meeting was to share information about services and technologies across the national and regional networks, and discuss how we can ensure interoperability across these networks. The meeting also provided an opportunity to discuss next generation repository functionalities for networks, and develop strategies for adopting these recommendations in various local contexts.
Agenda and participant list are available here. Presentations from the meeting are available here.
Aligning repository network activities target three levels of engagement: (1) strategic, (2) technical and semantic interoperability, and (3) services.
Major networks endorse International Accord (May 8, 2017)
Open access repositories are increasingly connected through thematic, national and regional networks. Although there are unique requirements in each jurisdictional context, repository networks must be aligned across the world in order to support the truly global nature of research and scholarly communication.
A major strategic priority for COAR is to align repository networks in order to create a seamless global repository network and demonstrate that repositories offer a viable solution for open access. In 2014, COAR launched a major initiative to further aligning practices globally making their collections more valuable as it enables new services to be built on top of their aggregated contents.
- Europe and Latin America expand their collaboration for open science (January 2017)
- Asia OA Summit in Kuala Lumpur, Canada (November 2016)
- CARL-COAR Next Generation Repositories Meeting in Ottawa, Canada (November 2016)
- 2016 Chinese Institutional Repository Conference and launch of the new repository group in China, CHAIR (September 2016)
- Release of COAR “Resource Type” Vocabulary for Open Access Repositories (October 2016)
Previous Repository Networks Meetings
- Aligning Repositories Networks Meeting (March 2014)
- Aligning Repositories Networks Meeting (April 2015)
- Meeting of COAR, LA Referencia, OpenAIRE and SHARE (July 2015)
- Meeting of COAR, LA Referencia, and OpenAIRE (November 2015)
- Aligning Repositories Networks Meeting (April 2016)
- Major networks endorse International Accord (May 8, 2017)
Assessment of Implementation Priorities for International Alignment (April 2018)
Current State of Alignment and Roadmap (December 2016) – this report was a deliverable for the international alignment work that COAR is doing in the OpenAIRE2020 Project
Report of the Promotional Workshop in Latin America (December 2015)
Aligning Repository Networks 2015 – Milestone Meeting Report (November 2015)
Promoting Open Knowledge and Open Science – Report of the Current State of Repositories (May 2015)
Towards a Seamless Global Research Infrastructure (April 2014)